K's Comeback

The challenge: 30 minutes of cardio (or more) every day in 2011. All 365 days. I might regret this, but for now I'm super excited!!

Saturday, February 03, 2007

Gut Check

So, "officially" I'm down 1.5 pounds this week, but I was up to begin with so I'm not too excited.

Training is not going well at all. The last couple of times I have run, I've had a pain in the side of my foot. I've self-diagnosed it as plantar fascia, which isn't serious, but if I'm correct in my assessment, it is a huge wake up call.

Two of the three high risk factors for plantar fascia are being female (can't help) and being overweight (CAN help). I NEED to lose weight. Not just for cosmetics, but if I ever want to run another half marathon again, and even begin to consider a full.

When I was training for my last half marathon, I weighed about ten pounds less than I do now. That is HUGE in the running world. Every pound is important, and I'm REALLY beginning to see that.

So this is it - my gut check. I can slink off into oblivion, or I can do something about it. I can lose weight and exercise as much as possible and in ways that don't impact my foot as much (cycling and elliptical I figure) until I feel better, and do this half. And keep it up. It's basically a choice between living a happy life - one in which I am conscious of what I put into my mouth and make an effort to exercise, but I'm HAPPY, or a life where I let food consume me, literally. I cannot live like that.

Sorry for the overly sad and somewhat morbid post. I'm just sick of it, and I'm hoping that writing like this will give me the kick in the pants I truly need.

1 Comments:

Blogger Becardi said...

First, congrats on the loss - even if you were up to begin with, a loss is great!

I totally understand about the training being harder the second time around - I think part of it might be the fact that you have done it before, so that fear of failure isn't there anymore (at least that's how I felt when I trained for the third Tri last summer after having done two already) - Fear is a huge motivator! Pain also makes it so much harder to stay motivated, so I hope the foot problem clears up fast - if not, go to the Dr. - don't put it off like I do.

Finally, I think it is a great realization that you need to eat right to do what you want to be doing. At least it provides you with a reason beyond just looking great to stay on top of things. I think I need to adopt that attitude and focus on what I would be giving up if I stopped watching what I ate, as opposed to the food I am giving up when I try to stay OP.

12:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home